Friday, January 30, 2009

Crockpot Layered Dinner (Year of Crockpotting)

Ingredients

This is what I used. You can use whatever meat or vegetables you have in the house. The trick is to not use too much liquid when cooking the meat, so the potatoes and the corn (or whatever you're using) isn't floating in juice.
--1 1/1 lbs rib eye steak
--1 T of your favorite seasoning rub
--1 T dried onion flakes (a fresh onion would be fine. I wasn't in a chopping mood.)
--2 T Worcestershire sauce
--1/4 cup tequila (or broth, apple juice, etc.)
--2-4 potatoes
--2-4 ears of fresh corn
--aluminum foil

Kathleen note: I used asparagus because corn was out of season. It tasted ok but was pretty limp. If I do asparagus again I'll wait at least 2 hours before adding those packets to the crockpot.

Procedure
Put meat in the bottom of the crockpot. Rub with seasoning and onion, and flip over to get the other side. Add tequila and Worcestershire sauce.

Wash potatoes and cover with foil. Add to the pot. Shuck the corn, and wrap each ear in foil. Add to the crockpot.It doesn't seem to matter if the potatoes are closer to the meat, or the corn. The new crockpots heat from the sides as well as from the bottom, so everything will cook through regardless of location.Cover and cook on high for 5-7 hours, or on low for about 8. I cooked our dinner for 6 hours on high. My crockpot was quite full.

Kathleen note: my crockpot was less full and so it was probably done closer to 4.5 or 5 hours. Toward the end of the cooking time I started to wonder if I should have pierced the potatoes before wrapping them in foil. I crept closer to listen for sounds of exploding spuds and shattering glass. Not to worry - the potatoes don't need to be pierced and cooked perfectly. Bill didn't believe the entire dinner came out of the crockpot.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-layered-dinner-steak-potatoes.html

No comments: