Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sugar and Spice Roasted Squash (Betsy)

Ingredients
(the recipe calls for 2 large Acorn squash but I used 1 small acorn and 1 small "buttercup" squash when I made it the first time and it was fab. The 2nd time I made it, I used butternut squash and it was even better!)

cut your squash in half and then in quarters (if using butternut, just cut in half)
cream together the following ingredients:
(ALL measurments are approximate, I'm a very bad direction follower!)
6 T softened butter
1 ~ 3 Generous T brown sugar
1~2 generous T maple syrup (I didn' thave any of the "real" thing so I just used the tacky ol Log Cabin and it worked fine)
2 generous tsp cinnamon
2 generous tsp ground cloves
1 generous tsp allspice
1 generous tsp nutmeg
GENEROUS pinch of red pepper

Procedure
cream those things together and put about a tablespoon or so onto each of the quarters or halves of squash. Put in a casserole dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 for 45min, uncover and baste with the yummy juice that has by now dripped everywhere, recover tightly and bake for another 45 min or so. Serve individually or scrape out the "skin" and sort of mush up the squash. I also used this as a base for butternut squash soup that was simply AMAZING and FABULOUS if you like spicey/savory/sweet stuff. Hope you enjoy as much as I've been enjoying it all week! I'm on a seriously scary squash kick here!
Bon Appetite!
Betsy

No comments: