Saturday, January 31, 2009

Melinda's Cream of Mushroom soup!

Ingredients

If you LOVE mushrooms you just HAVE to try this soup. We have soup days at work every year and my cream of mushroom soup is requested each year. This ain't no canned cream of mushroom!!! Next week is our soup days and they said I better not show up without my cream of mushroom soup. Soooo, of course I have to share. I liked to serve this with some big crusty rolls and freshly ground pepper.

1 pound mushrooms. (I use 1/2 white and 1/2 Shittake)
1/4 cup Margarine or Butter
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream (heavy)
1 can ready to serve chicken broth

Procedure
Slice enough mushrooms to measure 1 cup. Chop the rest.

Melt butter in 3- quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook all the mushrooms in butter for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden brown. (It will seem like tons of mushrooms, but they really cook down).
Sprinkle with flour and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.

Gradually stir in whipping cream and broth, heat until hot.

Recipe makes 4 - one cup servings. I usually double or triple recipe, depending on how many I'm feeding.

Melinda

No comments: